Roasted Eggplant Bisque


I have been in such a soup mood recently. Even though it's springtime and even though the highs have been in the 80s this week, there is just something so comforting about a bowl of warm soup. 


The last time I went grocery shopping, I picked up another eggplant. I am loving all the new foods being on a low carb diet has gotten me to eat. Eggplant has quickly risen to the top because it's just so versatile. I've made eggplant Parmesan, eggplant croquettes, and now roasted eggplant soup with carrots and mushrooms. Low carb, paleo, vegetarian... I think I've pleased all the major food "groups" with this dish. 


Ingredients
(Now, I only made enough for me since I knew my husband wouldn't want it. Also because I only had part of one eggplant left over. I'm going to write the recipe the way I made it, but feel free to double it to serve more!)

One egg plant, halved
10 baby carrots (or one big carrot, cut in quarters)
3 mushrooms, sliced
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Onion powder
2 c vegetable stock (can use chicken broth if you'd rather)
1/4 c almond milk (or regular milk)
Salt and pepper
Tony's seasoning (optional)


Directions
Place eggplant, carrots, and mushrooms in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and add onion powder and garlic powder. Roast in 400 degree oven for 40 minutes. 

Carefully scrape out eggplant pulp and discard the skin. Place eggplant, carrots, and mushrooms into a pot with 2 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until most of the liquid is gone. 

Slowly pour soup into a blender. Purée until there are no large pieces. Pour back into pot. Add almond milk. Simmer lightly. Add more vegetable stock or almond milk to this as needed. Season to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with sliced mushrooms and parsley if desired. 



Even my two year old loved this soup. It is loaded with veggies and incredibly healthy. It is so rich and creamy. Just the one bowl was enough to fill me up. And look at that color!! Gorgeous!! This is definitely a soup I'll be making again... Just maybe when it's a little cooler outside!


Comments

Popular Posts